Page:Funding for EU students

Funding for EU students

If you are a national of an EU country (Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden) you will normally be given 'home' fee status by the university, and therefore pay the home student rate of fees.  This applies to Undergraduate, Postgraduate Taught and Postgraduate Research students.

If you are an EEA national (all EU countries as well as well as Iceland, Norway, and Liechtenstein), Swiss national or child of a Turkish national, rules may vary. Please click here for further information.

Tuition Fees Support

All EU national students are usually entitled to full tuition fee loan support. Applications need to be made on form EUPR1A

Applications are dealt with by the Student Finance EU team, who can be contacted on 0141 243 3570.

Maintenance Support for Migrant Workers and Long Residents

If you are a migrant worker or the child of a migrant worker then you may be eligible to claim full fee and maintenance support from Student Finance England.

You would need to make an application to Student Finance England on form PN1 (new students) or PR1 for continuing students. Alternatively the application can be made online

Theses applications are dealt with by Student Finance England rather than the EU team.

To be classed as a Migrant Worker, you must be working in the UK in a role which is neither marginal or ancillary. This means your income should be sufficient to help meet living costs and the job should not form part of your course.For further details on what may be classed as migrant worker status, please visit the Migrant Worker section on the UKCISA website.

Similarly, if you have been living in the UK exercising Treaty rights for 5 years or more prior to the start of your course (1st September that year) then you can apply for full finance through Student Finance England as above. You would need to provide full evidence of residence in the UK such as bank statements, tax returns, payslips, P60s etc.

For general information about funding available to undergraduate students (including EU students), please visit the university’s undergraduate funding table.

NHS funding

5th year Medical and Dental students can apply for a bursary from the NHS to pay fees and towards living expenses. As well as these, students studying for the Postgraduate Diploma in Nursing are eligible to apply for an NHS bursary.

In principle, the NHS bursary eligibility works in a similar way to Student Finance. If you are and EU student you would generally only get fee only support, and if you are an EEA migrant worker or child of a migrant worker or have long residence, you would be eligible for full bursary funding. 

For general details on postgraduate funding available (including for EU students), please visit the university's postgraduate funding table and general information on postgraduate funding page

If you are an EU student resident in England, you may be eligible for a Postgraduate Loan to help with the cost of your Masters course. Please visit the website for more information.

For Postgraduate students studying the PGDE, if you meet the eligibility criteria for student finance as explained above you can apply for tuition fee support and/maintenance support.

If you are studying Medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, architecture, social work, courses which attract an NHS bursary and Initial Teacher Training (ITT) courses as a second degree you may be able to get a maintenance loan for living costs from Student Finance England . Please contact us for further information if this applies to you.

If you are an EU student who studied your undergraduate course at an institution in England since September 2012, for which you were charged the higher tuition fee (up to £9000), you could be entitled to a Postgraduate Scheme Scholarship to help pay for tuition fees and living costs of up to £10,000. The scholarship is a part of a national strategy aiming to widen access to postgraduate study by removing barriers to postgraduate education for students from under-represented groups.

To find out more and if you may be eligible please click here.

If you have lived in the UK for 3 years before the start of your course and intend to work in the UK or EEA after it, you may be entitled to a Professional Career Development Loan.

The loans are currently administered by the high street bank Co-Op.

For further details on eligibility and how to apply click here.

Please note the following information about career development loans:

  • If you are eligible you can borrow up £10,000 to help cover the costs of your postgraduate study
  • Loans do not have to start being repaid until 1 month after you have completed your course, at a reduced interest rate. The first months interest is covered by the government.
  • Repayments will start after the end of your course regardless of whether you are employed or not.
  • Repayments will start after you leave university regardless of whether you complete your course or not.
  • Credit checks will be carried out as part of the process to determine eligibility.

The university’s financial support scheme is a non-repayable hardship scheme run by the university for students facing unexpected costs and as a result become in financial hardship. It is open to all students. It  can usually only be given once in an academic year, and is given based on need.

You can apply for financial support for living costs, essential travel costs and childcare costs. However the need must have arisen due to unforeseen circumstances, causing financial hardship. Financial support cannot be used for tuition fees.

For further information and how to apply please click here.

Last Updated: January 2018