Page:Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)

Disabled Students' Allowances

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) can help to pay for extra course costs which you have as a result of your disability or learning difficulty. Undergraduate and postgraduate students on full time and part time courses can apply for DSAs. DSA is  usually paid in kind; for equipmnet/ services.

You can apply for help with the following:

  • specialist equipment, e.g. a laptop or specialist software
  • a non-medical helper, e.g. note-taker or mentor
  • extra travel costs to and from University
  • other expenditure, e.g. photocopying or printing

DSAs are not means-tested. The amount that you get depends upon your actual need and there are maximum amounts available for each type of help. You would usually apply to your funding body for DSAs. A needs assessment is carried out to work out your entitlement to DSAs.

The University Disability and Dyslexia Support Service (DDSS) provide a detailed website about Disabled Students’ Allowances explaining who is eligible, what support is available and how to apply. DDSS can help you to apply for DSA and will work with you to ensure you receive the support that you need, including drawing up a learning support plan for your department so that you can be supported adequately with your learning needs at university.

Last Updated: January 2018