Page:Working after studies

Working After Studies

This section gives you an overview of your rights to work in the UK after your studies if you have a Tier 4 student visa. It also includes an overview of the main work visa routes, which you may be able to apply for to remain in the UK to work after your studies.

If you are a student from the European Economic Area and resident in uK before 31.12.2020 these pages do not apply to you. Please see information here for latest updates on EU Citizens Rights to Work & impact of Brexit..

In light of Brexit and fact that freedom of movement for EU citizens will end on 31.12.2020, the UK Govt is looking to make significant changes to the UK immigration system and has been consulting on its Immigration White Paper for some time. On 19.02.20 the Government released a policy statement on proposed changes to the points based immigration system from January 2021. In particular this statement covers proposals for a reformed points based skilled worker route. 

The Free Movement website also has a good summary of the proposed changes and how it compares to the existing Tier 2 work visa route.

Please note the proposed two year post study graduate route is not mentioned in the policy statement but is due to be introduced in the summer of 2021.

All international students  can access post study visa advice from the Student Advice Centre. The visa information pages will be updated as more detailed guidance becomes available about the new visa routes.


Start Up Visa

This visa route is for Non-EEA citizens who wish to start a business in the UK for the first time.

Tier 5 Visa

Information on using the Tier 5 visa to stay in the UK for a 12 month internship/work placement.

Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme

Information on eligiblity and application procedure for this 1 year post study work visa, available for PhD students who are close to the award of their degree.


Tier 2 Visa

Information on requirements and application process for your Tier 2 visa. This is main work visa route for graduate level, skilled work in the UK. Undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD level students can switch into this visa in the UK.





New Post Study Work/Graduate Visa from 2021

The Government has announced that it is to introduce a 2-year post-study (Graduate) work visa for international students studying in the UK.